Is it possible to forward dns queries if unable to contact a DNS server?

Paul England Pengland at wxc.co.nz
Thu Mar 29 04:20:50 UTC 2007

Hi there,
I have a strange issue based upon the fact that our IPv4 name space was once included on old Bogons lists.

(I'm sure that you all know what that is however - "Bogons is the name used to describe ip blocks not allocated by IANA and RIRs to ISPs and organizations plus all other ip blocks that are reserved for private or special use by RFCs (the actual term "bogons" comes from word "bogus", as in bogus ip announcements).")

Occasionally we encounter DNS servers which are configured with an out-dated Bogon list and we are unable to resolve any of their domains,

Is it possible to configure bind to forward dns requests which it cannot resolve to another DNS server?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

Paul England
Auckland, New Zealand