problem with named.conf

Dawn Connelly dawn.connelly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 02:38:18 UTC 2007

It looks like you are forwarding to DNS servers that are not on your LAN so
when your network link is down, the requests you aren't authoritative for
and don't have cache for are timing out. Since the requesting machine isn't
getting an answer for the DNS record it's asking for, it's appending it with
anything it has in it's search suffix. If they are querying for
www.google.com, it doesn't get an answer so queries for
www.google.com.msk3.ath.cx. Since you have a wildcard A record, it'll match
everything that has been appended. The best way to show this is when your
internet connection is down, do a query for <www.google.com.>  Make sure to
do it once WITH a period at the end and once WITHOUT a period at the end.
The one with a period will time out. The one without a period will append
with the msk3.ath.cx domain and you'll get that wildcard answer.