UDP port 1086

Stefan Schmidt s.schmidt--bind at mcbone.net
Fri Mar 16 13:05:21 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 12:55:26PM +0100, Olaf Lautenschlaeger wrote:
> could anyone tell me what part of BIND does listen on UDP 0.0.0.0:1086
> (the usual :53 ports and localhost:953 were open too)?

This is probably the highport BIND uses to listen for incoming replies
from other Nameservers when it queries them to handle recursive queries.
Try restarting BIND and see if it changes - BIND chooses this port
randomly from your highports range by default.
You can fixiate it with the following config statement,
options {
	query-source address 1.2.3.4 port 1234;
};
but keep in mind that this also makes it easier for
cache-poisoning attacks as they might know which port to spoof
after a while.

	Stefan
--
- It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent!
Q, "Déjà Q.", ST-TNG