DNS PTR Records subnet

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Mar 15 19:23:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:34:24PM -0400, Sangoi, Nehal (GE Supply, consultant) wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I define my reverse record zone files for the subnet like
> "3.160.232.0/22"
>
> should it be "160.3.in-addr.arpa"
>
> or should it be like
> "235.160.3.in-addr.arpa"
> "234.160.3.in-addr.arpa"
> "232.160.3.in-addr.arpa"

Do you own the 3.160.0.0/16 network?  No, you do not (at least, not from
what you said above).  Therefore you must not define a reverse DNS zone
for it.

You must define zones for those networks that you do own.  As you almost
say, the zones you would define are:
	232.160.3.in-addr.arpa
	233.160.3.in-addr.arpa
	234.160.3.in-addr.arpa
	235.160.3.in-addr.arpa

You must then ask the person who DOES serve 160.3.in-addr.arpa to
delegate those subdomains to your name servers.  Otherwise, nobody will
be able to see your zones!

3.in-addr.arpa
	origin = ns.ge.com
	mail addr = hostmaster.ge.com
	serial = 2006102301
	refresh = 10800
	retry = 3600
	expire = 604800
	minimum = 300

OK, it looks like your 3.in-addr.arpa hostmaster likes to keep all his
networks in one big file.  So, you have to ask him or her to delegate
232.160, 233.160, 234.160, and 235.160 to your name servers.

--
Joe Yao