Name Resolve

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 10:53:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 3/15/07, Wael Shahin <wael.shahin at gmail.com> wrote:
> dig alone output
> dig www.getfreesofts.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.getfreesofts.com
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 44616

As you can see here, your DNS server returns SERVFAIL (server
failure), which can be caused by many things. It's hard to tell
without looking at the configuration file, IMO.

dig +trace doesn't use the local nameserver, that's why it succeeds for you.

> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;www.getfreesofts.com.          IN      A
>
> ;; Query time: 1 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Thu Mar 15 12:18:38 2007
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 38
>
> i have tried to flush the dns cache and i end up with the same result,
> I have another DNS server BIND 9.3.2
> and it is resolving just fine

Well, I would look for differences in the way the two servers are set up.