About Zone refresh on a very big DNS server.

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Mar 9 10:34:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:26:27PM +0800,
  ? ??  <wangpenghui at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> I have several DNS servers, each hosted more than one hundred
> thousand domains.

Not bad for a newbie :-)

> We used a cron job to refresh all the zone files once a hour. But
> once a hour is too long for us.  But if we make the time shorter,
> These servers would have a very very high load.

I do not think that *all* the files are updated every hour. Then, why
don't you refresh only those whose data actually changed?

> The current method to refresh the zone files is using the follow
> command: /etc/init.d/named reload

Therefore, I do not know what "refreshing" is.

DLZ or a similar system? It has other
costs... (http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/, do note that DLZ is
standard in the last official BIND, 9.4)