Strange DNS Queries

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Fri Mar 2 19:09:50 UTC 2007

I got one response who suggested Webroot's Spysweeper might be the
culprit via the hardcoding of the noted names in the hosts file on
Windows box.  We're looking at that right now to determine if this is it
or not.  If not, I'll be happy to provide a scrubbed capture for further
review.  I'm not sure where the destination is for all of these queries
but can go back to our security folks to gather that additional info.
In terms of what's being returned, the capture I had showed nothing
being returned; however, that could be attributed to receiving just a
partial trace.  More to come as we investigate further.

- Bill