Bind Configuration in fedora core 6

zaman L query.cdac at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:02:36 UTC 2007

Hi All,
  I  am a trying to configure DNS in FC 6 using chrooted-bind . It is
a experimental DNS for learning purpose. I am finding the following
difficulties.

 1. There is no configuration file named named.conf in /var/named/
chroot/etc/ as in case of earlier versions of Linux.  The file that is
present is
named.rfc1912.zones . I have edited the file as follows for the domain
example.com .

The contents of the file is shown below.

      zone "example.com" IN {
        type master;
        file "iqnet.in.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "iqnet.in.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

The zone file are as follows

A) example.com.zone

$ORIGIN example.com.
$TTL    86400
@               IN SOA  iqnetns.example.com.      root.example.com. (
                                     42              ; serial (d.
adams)
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

@               IN NS           iqnetns.example.com.
                IN A                192.168.0.254

                IN AAAA         ::1

iqnetns.example.com.         IN A
192.168.0.254

B) example.com.local
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     iqnetns.example.com.  root.example.com.  (
                                      1997022700 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      14400      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum

        IN      NS      iqnetns.example.com.

254     IN      PTR
iqnetns.example.com.

After that I edited /etc/resolv.conf and restarted the named service.
There is no error.
But when I try to resolve iqnetns.example.com
using dig or host command , name resolution is not taking place.
Please help me in finding out the problem.
With thanks