Consistent error message in named.log

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jun 29 02:59:38 UTC 2007

> Platform: HP-UX 11.00
> BIND Version: 9.2.0 for HP-UX 11.0
> We are encountering this message in our named.log file:

	This is a FAQ.

Q: I keep getting log messages like the following. Why?

   Dec 4 23:47:59 client 10.0.0.1#1355: updating zone 'example.com/IN': update
   failed: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

A: DNS updates allow the update request to test to see if certain conditions are
   met prior to proceeding with the update. The message above is saying that
   conditions were not met and the update is not proceeding. See doc/rfc/
   rfc2136.txt for more details on prerequisites.

Also prerequisites are processed before any acls according to RFC 2136 which
is why you see these even when updates are denied for everyone.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org