localhost zone

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 15:19:56 UTC 2007

Clenna Lumina wrote:
> Mark Watts wrote:
>>> Hello to all ,
>>>
>>> I have that some dns servers had, in addition to the
>>> "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" zone, a zone "localhost" in their
>>> configuration.
>>>
>>> Is there an interest to have this zone configured ?
>>>
>>> I am asking you this, because i've seen some of my mail servers
>>> asking for "localhost/MX/IN", and i was surprised by such request.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mis-configured clients can often be seen trying to resolve
>> "localhost" from the DNS server they are configured to use.
>
> I thought it was common to have "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" or
> "127.in-addr.arpa" and sometimes "localhost" on the dns server, as
> long as each host as "localhost 127.0.0.1" in their host (ie
> /etc/host) files?

I mean I thought it was common to have that setup on DNS as well as in
the host file, so anything that tries to resolve either 127.0.0.1 or
localhost directly from the name server instead of using the default
resolver will still get an answer?

I know 127.8 is a local resource, but is there a real reason why one
shouldn't have it in DNS?

--
CL