DNS queries to blocked countries?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Jun 23 14:26:01 UTC 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> OK I know this sounds like a stupid question but figured I'd ask anyway.
> We currently have customers who have signed up to get email from us.
> However, the MX record won't resolve because the primary DNS for the
> customers is in a country we block inbound/outbound.    Essentially the
> dig +trace and whois both stop at the point the root servers hand off to
> servers in those remote countries.
>
> An example would be "Samsung.com".   Although the user is actually in
> the U.S., Samsung is a South Korean company.  Due to this we can't get
> the MX record which may or may not point to a U.S. server.   I'm
> wondering if there is any way I can setup things so the resolution for
> countries we block is reported back by some other server that would be
> U.S. based that doesn't block these countries?

Since Samsung is a *South* Korean company why would it be blocked? I
have no problem getting it's MX record and the IP address associated
with it. Why would your company block those addresses? Do they not want
to conduct business? Note that whois does NOT use root servers or
anything else. It's a self-contained system and is only used by the
registries.

Danny