BIND 9.5.0a5 is now available. OT - FC

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:32:31 UTC 2007

On 6/22/07, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Actually that was Oracle's excuse for creating their own so-called
> "Unbreakable License".   They say that RedHat updates too often and FC
> even more so.   A lot of folks like CentOS because it doesn't update as
> frequently as FC (but presumably does as frequently as RedHat since it
> is based RedHat source RPMS).   Haven't used CentOS myself.   I haven't
> met an FC that I didn't like yet though it does annoy me that F7
> (they've dropped the "core") now only comes in DVD and Live CD versions
> - no full set of CDs available.

This doesnt have much to do with DNS other than when you will see an
updated Bind. However there are a couple of points I would like to
make:

1) Oracle made their version of Enterprise Linux for three reasons:
  a) Red Hat had bought JBoss right after JBoss turned down an Oracle offer.
  b) Oracle VM/memory management patches were not getting included in
either mainstream or in RHEL. They felt that was a 'good' value for
Oracle customers
  c) No one undercuts Larry Ellison

2) CentOS and Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Linux are 'rebuilds' of
RHEL rpms. Thus they usually follow what RHEL will have in them. The
CentOS packages are tested to make sure they are binary compatible
with RHEL items.

3) Fedora is meant to be a cutting edge OS. The new goal will be to
release every ~6 months (October/April). The current F7 takes up 7+
cdsets for the entire set. F8 looks like it might be 2-3 DVD's. RHEL
is meant to release every 12-18 months based off of a Fedora set.
RHEL-4 was based around FC3, RHEL-5 was based around FC6, RHEL-6 will
probably be FC9/10 timeframe.

4) Bind is usually not updated in Fedora or RHEL until it has reached
a 'stable' listing from ISC. The alpha releases will probably not be
packaged up except by the BIND maintainer at Red Hat. The beta
releases might/probably be incorporated into the main release.