allow query / allow recursion confusion

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jun 21 01:58:55 UTC 2007

> In article <f5blac$1roq$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Nick <kvetch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > An acl line of "allow-query { our-nets; };" would globally only allow
> > queries from our designated IP's but deny queries from everyone else,
> > correct?
> > With the acl line above and with the line "allow-query { any; };" in a
> > zone it would then allow this zone to be queried from anyone in the
> > world.  Basically overriding the global setting but only on this zone.
> >
> > From my understanding the "allow recursion", enables or disables boxes
> > from looking up domains that this box doesn't handle the zones for.
> > So an acl line like "allow-recursion { our-nets; };" would only allow
> > IP's within our network to lookup other domains and block everyone
> > else from querying some domain, right?
>
> The main difference is that if someone is not in the "allow-recursion"
> ACL they'll be allowed to query data that is already in your server's
> cache.  So if an internal user looks up www.google.com, external users
> will be able to look this up until the cached record expires (and in the
> case of a popular name like this, it will probably be in cache most of
> the time).
>
> BIND 9.4 adds a new option, I think called "allow-query-cache", that
> does what most people wanted "allow-recursion" to do.

	allow-query-cache just seperated out what allow-query
	operated on.  allow-query now only affects zones rather
	than zones and cache.

	You could always prevent people querying the cache.  It was
	just more work if you were also offically authoritative for
	a zone as you needed to add "allow-query {any;};" to the
	zone definition.

	Seperately you now need to match both allow-query-cache
	and allow-recursion to have RA set in responses.

	Mark

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA