Question about the ADDITIONAL SECTION

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 20:00:14 UTC 2007

I have a question. I am using ZoneEdit.com to slave some zones I have,
and I noticed their servers never return the ADDITIONAL SECTION which
should contain the A records for the NS servers that were returned in
the AUTHORITY SECTION.

Naturally, my local master Bind server return that section, like a good
DNS server.

I'm assuming they are using "minimal-responses: yes" in their
named.conf.

So my question is, isn't it going against how DNS is supposed to work,
in regards to authoritative lookups, to NOT return A records for the
NS's listed in the AUTHORITY section?

To my knowledge, "minimal-responses: yes" should only be used for
caching (resolving) servers only, right?

Thanks for any help clearing this up.

--
CL