allow query / allow recursion confusion

Nick kvetch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:33:53 UTC 2007

Hello, I am a little confused about the security settings allow-query
and allow recursion and was hoping someone might be able to clear my
confusion.  I am currently testing this on a BIND 9.3.0 linux box.

An acl line of "allow-query { our-nets; };" would globally only allow
queries from our designated IP's but deny queries from everyone else,
correct?
With the acl line above and with the line "allow-query { any; };" in a
zone it would then allow this zone to be queried from anyone in the
world.  Basically overriding the global setting but only on this zone.