allowing underscores in A/AAAA records

Jack Tavares j.tavares at F5.com
Wed Jun 20 09:03:59 UTC 2007

It seems that some people like to put underscores "_" in their
hostnames.

This seems to be popular in Microsoft centric organizations.

If they then enter this as an A (or AAAA) record in bind, an error
is generated. (Rightly so).

One can turn off check-names or set it to warn so that the zone
still loads.

One can run named-checkzone -k warn|ignore.

But I would like to be able to allow underscores and still validate
the rest of the label. (ie: check that label length is not longer than
the max, the total length of the domain name is not too long,
no _other_ invalid characters, etc)

I don't see a way to do this other than to write my own
name validation routine.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
--