"Empty zones" and BIND 9.4

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jun 18 14:33:59 UTC 2007

> Hi all,
>
> There was big discussion about empty-zones feature in BIND >= 9.4 on Red
> Hat's bugzilla. We have found two problems around this.
>
> - RFC 3330 says that loopback could be 127/8. Does anybody here know how
> configure 127.in-addr.arpa. zone as described in RFC? $GENERATE
> directive isn't sufficient for solve this problem.

	Why would one want to use $GENERATE.

	zone "127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	};

	@ SOA ..
	@ NS ..
	1.0.0 PTR localhost.

> - RFC 2181, section 7.3 tells about MNAME record in SOA. It's name of
> primary server. All empty zones returns name of zone instead primary
> nameserver (could be "localhost.")

	No.  It's the name of the primary (only) nameserver.  It just
	happens to be the name of the zone as well.  The zone names
	are all legal hostnames.

	draft-ietf-dnsop-default-local-zones-02.txt

	There are also named.conf options to change what is returned.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org