Strange domain issues - waterco.com.my

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 06:12:57 UTC 2007

I get this:

$ dig @ns1.waterco.com.my waterco.com.my mx
;; reply from unexpected source: 60.51.231.186#1077, expected
60.51.231.186#53
;; reply from unexpected source: 60.51.231.186#1077, expected
60.51.231.186#53
;; reply from unexpected source: 60.51.231.186#1077, expected
60.51.231.186#53

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> @ns1.waterco.com.my waterco.com.my mx
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

It seems to me the problem is the query goes to ns1.waterco.com.my
[60.51.231.186] port 53, BUT comes back from the same host on port 1077.

The moral: Bind doesn't like port to/from mismatches. This is probably a
host behind a router/firewall.

Adding this to the options { } block should fix it, if the NAT is
configured to preserve the original source port of an outgoing packet:

options {
   query-source: address * port 53;
};

The address can be an ip of a specific interface too.

--
. Alfred Z. Newmane .