9.3.2 behavior - explain please

Pavel Urban urbanp at mlp.cz
Tue Jul 31 20:20:01 UTC 2007

The question is: why I don't see the data when I'm asking localhost,
which is configured to be a master for this zone? Is it an expected
behavior, and is there a way to get this information from a server, even
without a delegation from 'upstream' servers? I'm persuaded that I used
to have some domains defined just locally and they resolved ok...

Chris Buxton wrote:
> What exactly is the question?
>
> With the +trace option to dig, you've discovered/verified that the
> domain is not delegated from .cz. Fine, that matches what you said.
>
> You're able to get a zone transfer when specifying the localhost
> server, so the server is authoritative for the zone. This also
> matches what you said.
>
> No server has this data in cache. This is a normal consequence of the
> zone not being delegated to your server.
>
> If you want to see the data in a database dump, remember to specify "-
> all" in the command:
>
> rndc dumpdb -all
>
> Otherwise, the server only writes out records from cache, i.e.
> records retrieved from other servers.
>
> Chris Buxton
> Men & Mice

Pavel Urban (pavel.urban (at) o2.com)