named is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT?

Evan Hunt Evan_Hunt at isc.org
Tue Jul 31 00:58:36 UTC 2007

> Not a fatal error, but has anyone seen:
>    named is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT?
>
> Running BIND 9.4.1-P1, CentOS release 4.5 (Final),  Linux kernel 2.6.9-55.EL
>
> I understand that this is happening because of a kernel upgrade.  But are there
> plans to fix?

Yes, known issue.  Unfortunately we can't really do anything about it.  BIND does
the right thing; it only calls that sockopt if it's defined.  If it's not a
valid sockopt, it shouldn't *be* defined.  But the kernel folks left it in
socket.h after they deprecated it, and there's no way to turn off the warning
message it generates.  Hopefully some future kernel-headers release will have
fixed this.

Evan Hunt -- evan_hunt at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.