TTL record changes in All domains

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 25 19:24:02 UTC 2007

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <f7j5t5$3050$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 02:13:34PM +0400,
>>>  Mohamed Navas V <abusam at gmail.com> wrote

>>> As you have seen from the discussion, it is more a basic Unix
>>> programming question than a BIND issue.
>>>
>>> In the short term, you now have enough Perl or shell scripts to solve
>>> the problem :-)
>>>
>>> In the long term, you may prefer to generate the zone files from a
>>> database, rather than maintaining them in text form (which becomes
>>> really painful when you have dozens of them).
>>>

>> Or, use Dynamic Update for everything, in which case the TTL changes
>> desired could be accomplished just by feeding "nsupdate" the appropriate
>> commands.
>>

> If you're going to use dynamic update, you'll need a database to drive
> it.  Otherwise, how would you know all the records to update?

1. Extract a list of zones from named.conf
2. For each zone, do a zone transfer to identify all records in the zone
3. Issue the appropriate nsupdate commands to modify the TTL values

As an optimization, steps #2 and #3 can be done in parallel
processes/threads.

Still don't see a need for the "sledgehammer" RDBMS approach. Maybe if
one had 100s of 1,000s of zones, that might be necessary, we're not to
that point (yet). Very few organizations have that number of zones for
*themselves*, only DNS hosting providers typically get into that range.

            - Kevin