One last word about "License"

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sat Jul 21 17:35:56 UTC 2007

 From "The Online Etymological Dictionary"

The link is below:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=license&searchmode=none

The quote below comes from the link, I hope it is ok to actually quote this:

licence <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=licence> Look up
licence at Dictionary.com <http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=licence>
    1362, "liberty (to do something), leave," from O.Fr. licence, from
    L. licentia "freedom, liberty, license," from licentem (nom.
    licens). prp. of licere "to be allowed, be lawful," from PIE base
    *leik- "to offer, bargain." Meaning "formal (usually written)
    permission from authority to do something" (marry, hunt, drive,
    etc.) is first attested 1433. Meaning "excessive liberty, disregard
    of propriety" is from c.1450. The verb is first attested 1398.
    Licence is preferred for the noun, license for the verb, on model of
    advice/advise, etc.

This web page is one of my favorites,  it can be very useful.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: