Define a domains addresses sole in terms of another

John Steel john.steel at phonewebcam.com
Tue Jul 10 10:07:19 UTC 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:06:10AM +0100,
>  John Steel <john.steel at phonewebcam.com> wrote
>  a message of 18 lines which said:
>

>> Perhaps I should explain the setup - its a Plesk managed system
>> which writes separate files for each zone, I then have to hand edit
>> them and restart BIND to effect them.
>>

> It seems a very strange setup. The purpose of Plesk is to avoid
> hand-edition of files. What's the point of using Plesk in your case?
> Wouldn't it be better to drop it completely?
>
> AFAIK (I'm not an user), Plesk is good for individual edition of zone
> data, not for mass automation (a domain which is better handled by
> script programming languages like Python or Lua).

Yeah, I know now ;-) This is an example of starting small and realizing you've outgrown things a bit!!!

> Here is a complete translation of your zone file in relative, suitable
> for solution 1:
>

> $TTL    86400
>
> @       IN      SOA     ns system\.admin (
>                         1132657947      ; Serial
>                         10800   ; Refresh
>                         3600    ; Retry
>                         604800  ; Expire
>                         86400 ) ; Minimum
>
>                           IN NS      ns
>                           IN NS      ns0
>                           IN NS      ns0.example1.net.
>
>                   IN A       1.2.3.4
>                   IN MX  10  mail
>
> ns                IN A       1.2.3.4
> ns0               IN A       4.5.6.7
>
> www                              IN A       1.2.3.4
> webmail                          IN CNAME   www
> ftp                              IN CNAME   www
> mail                             IN A    1.2.3.4

Sorry for being so dumb but 1.2.3.4 is the current IP address of
example1. Its the one I will be changing in example1's rec.
So wouldn't I still need to edit it here this way?

--
http://www.phonewebcam.com
john.steel at phonewebcam.com