Define a domains addresses sole in terms of another

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jul 9 13:42:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 01:08:04PM +0100,
 John Steel <john.steel at phonewebcam.com> wrote
 a message of 42 lines which said:

> example1.com.             IN NS      ns.example1.com.
> example1.com.             IN NS      ns0.example1.com.
> example1.com.             IN NS      ns0.example1.net.
>
> ns.example1.com.          IN A       1.2.3.4
> example1.com.             IN A       1.2.3.4

Replace every occurrence of example1.com with @ and every occurrence
of something.example1.com by something and you are almost done.

> The point is during server moves etc I would only need to update the
> 1 record, rather than all the individual ones as at present.

Two solutions:

1) Fast and hacky: use only one zone file for every domain. If the
contents of the zone file are relative (see my first advice), it will
work.

2) Clean and modern: do not produce zone files by hand, have them
created by a program which reads the database of managed domains.