after Journal Log truncate, axfr happens or ixfr happens?

kalyanasundaram s.kalyanasundaram at inbox.com
Fri Jul 6 08:18:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 16:00 +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >  If i mention max-journal-size is 10K and have a journal log file of
> > size 15 K. So after 15 min it get truncated to 9-10K. Till before that
> > secondary server will do ixfr. But after this truncation what will
> > happen? He(primary) will not have full information in the jnl file. What
> > is the time interval for zone transfer? Does he still ignore the moved
> > RRs(to db file) and do ixfr or somehow identify truncated data and do a
> > AXFR. Does it have any impact. Basically I am trying to understand what
> > it does together.
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >   -"kalyan"
>
> 	If the master doesn't have the requested starting serial
> 	in the journal and the requested serial is less than the
> 	current serial then a AXFR style IXFR response will be
> 	returned.  Otherwise a delta style IXFR response will be
> 	returned or a up to date style response will be returned
> 	depending apon whether the requested starting serial is
> 	less then the current serial or not.
>
> 	This is basic IXFR response behaviour and is independent
> 	of the DNS vendor.
>
> 	Mark

Hi Mark,
 Thanks for your response. I was not aware of the variant of IXFRs.
Thanks for you info. Some more clarification please.

When the AXFR style IXFR happens?

In my situation,
I have a serial number of 100 in both master and slave. I have updated
the master with nsupdate for 10 records. So now the master has the SOA
110.
Now, the secondary sends SOA  request and check the number. So reply is obviously greater than
the available one. So now he initiate IXFR request. Master replies with
<SOA><ADDITION><DELETIONS>.

Suppose before the SOA request, the DUMP_DELAY time got over and half of
the journal log has been moved to db file. Assume only the last five
updates are available in journal log.
Now how the master decides to send a AXFR style IXFR? like(<SOA><RRS>)
What the master sends now? delta style or the AXFR style?

Thanks for your help in advance,
  -"kalyan"