Nslookup problem

Sangoi, Nehal (Gexpro, consultant) Nehal.Sangoi at gexpro.com
Mon Jul 2 18:24:37 UTC 2007

Hi

I have come across the strange behaviour of Bind 9.2.4-2 on RHEL - AS 4.
Below is the description to my issue.

My name server is a forwarder server to the other name server for
resolving some domain records. And, both the name servers are separated
using the firewall, allowing to communicate over port 53.

The dig output for resolution, works perfectly fine as shown below.

[root at abc masters]# dig @1.2.3.4 soa cc.abc.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @1.2.3.4 soa cc.abc.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cc.abc.com.     IN      SOA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
abc.com.          86400   IN      SOA     bb.abc.com. admin.abc.com. 266
10800 3600 604800 600

;; Query time: 102 msec
;; SERVER: 1.2.3.4#53(1.2.3.4)
;; WHEN: Mon Jul  2 14:17:10 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 130

But my nslookup output gives below error.

[root at abc masters]# nslookup
> cc.abc.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find cc.abc.com: SERVFAIL
> server 1.2.3.4
Default server: 1.2.3.4
Address: 1.2.3.4#53
> cc.abc.com
Server:         1.2.3.4
Address:        1.2.3.4#53

Name:   cc.abc.com
Address: 2.3.4.5

What could be the reason for dig be worknig fine and nslookup be
failing? .... This used to work earlier and it stops all of a sudden
with no reason and/or no configuration change !!!

Thanks
Nehal