Multiple PTRs for the same IP

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Jan 26 20:32:47 UTC 2007

Hello,

the resolver lib has the ability to return more than one ip for every hostname
and more than one hostname for every ip

$> natnum mail.5wc

host_look("212.97.45.53","a-root.maxmv.org","3563138357").
host_name("212.97.45.53","a-root.maxmv.org").
host_alias("mx3.memor.net","a-root.maxmv.org").
host_alias("mr1.mastrocinque.net","a-root.maxmv.org").
host_alias("mail.ttf","a-root.maxmv.org").
host_alias("mail.5wc","a-root.maxmv.org").
host_alias("mail.publicroot.org","a-root.maxmv.org").

It works perfectly with /etc/hosts as seen above.

$> natnum www.interpixel.de

host_look("81.88.40.52","www.interpixel.de","1364731956").
host_name("81.88.40.52","proxy2.kontent.com").
host_look("81.88.40.51","www.interpixel.de","1364731955").
host_name("81.88.40.51","proxy1.kontent.com").

it does work with dns only from hostname to multiple ip-addresses. But with
multiple ptr records it might also work the other way.

Rarely have I seen people doing it and sorry - my resolver lib does not
support it. I think it is a bug in the resolver lib.

Kind regards
Peter and Karin

--
Peter and Karin Dambier