setting up round robin

Tue Jan 23 14:24:55 UTC 2007

jeff donovan wrote:
> greetings
>
> I'm not having any success setting up round robin dns for my imap
> servers.
> here is what I have done,

[cut]
> getting errors about multiple RR's, and that the option multiple
> cnames is obsolete
>
> okay,..
> so um, is there a better way to achieve this goal ?

I had the same problem doing exactly the same thing with MX records.
It's not ideal, but the only way around it is to repeat the A definitions:

imap1.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.1
imap2.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.2
imap3.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.3
imap4.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.4

imap.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.1
imap.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.2
imap.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.3
imap.bar.net.	60	IN	A	192.168.1.4

That is, if you want people to be able to go directly to "imap1.bar.net"
as well as "imap.bar.net" - if not, you only need the second block.

Andy