"named" startup on Fedora Core 6 (/etc/init.d/named)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 20:04:15 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Forrest Aldrich <forrie at forrie.com> wrote:
> [ rant: I'm not always a fan of complex startup scripting, and this is
> probably one good example... ]
> It appears /etc/init.d/named on Fedora Core 6 (and subsequently
> /etc/sysconfig/named) doesn't start up BIND in a way you might expect,
> even if you explicitly set OPTIONS in the sysconfig/named file -- it
> prevents named from writing it's slave files (yes, permissions/ownership
> are correct):
>
>     OPTIONS="-u named -c /etc/named.conf"
>
> errors:
>
>     Jan 18 08:35:18 ns named: _default/de-archive.domain.tld/IN: file
>     not found  (huh??)
>     Jan 18 08:37:29 ns named: zone subdom.domain.tld/IN: loading master
>     file slaves/subdom.domain.tld: file not found
>

> .. which can be fixed if I just "touch" the file (with the correct
> ownership).
>
> Alas, if I just start it up by hand:
>
>     /usr/sbin/named -u named -c /etc/named.conf
>

> no problems... zones transferred.
>
> I wonder if someone knows what the issue is...

I can't duplicate this on my FC6 system. are you using chroot
environment? selinux?
My guess is that it is selinux that is saying you don't have
permission to do something with a directory that hasnt been set up
correctly.

1) Make sure you are updated with the latest policies.
2) Make sure you have the directory setup correctly
 restorecon -R -v /var/named
3) You may need to turn on selinux permissions for bind to write files
getsebool -a | grep named
named_disable_trans --> off
named_write_master_zones --> off

setsebool -P named_write_master_zones=1

4) Remember to report this to the Fedora Bugzilla so that they are
aware of the problem.