IDN, dig and underscore

Andre Masella andre at masella.no-ip.org
Sun Jan 14 00:41:31 UTC 2007

> > If I do:
> > $ dig _ldap._tcp.example.com
> > dig: convert UTF-8 textname to IDN encoding: prohibited character found
> The underscore here is only allowed for SRV records.

Uhh, okay. Even if that is the case, it's a problem. Kerberos exects records
like:
_kerberos.asdf.com. IN TXT "ASDF.COM"
which is in draft-ietf-cat-krb-dns-locate-02.txt

> Try dig _ldap._tcp.example.com SRV

$  dig _ldap._tcp.example.com SRV
dig: convert UTF-8 textname to IDN encoding: prohibited character found
$  dig -t srv _ldap._tcp.example.com

I guess it's a bug. Should I send this along to bind9-bugs at isc.org? Thanks.
--
--Andre Masella (andre at masella.no-ip.org)