Can't see internal view on bind server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 11 23:08:15 UTC 2007

Simon Gao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up views on a bind 8.3.2 server. To help zone transfers to
> slave servers, I configured two network interfaces.
>
> eth0		external view
> eth0:1		internal view
>
> There is no problem resolving external view from the server. But
> resolving internal view always comes up nothing. This is correct result.
> However, I would like to resolve from eth0:1 on the server so I can
> resolve internal records. Is there a way to do it?

In BIND 8, you'd need to run separate instances of named, each with a
different "listen-on", pointing to different interfaces, e.g. one
instance listening on eth0 and another instance listening on eth0:1, and
optionally differing "pid-file" and/or logging parameters, to prevent
them from interfering with each other.

If you were to upgrade to BIND 9, then you could use the "view" feature
of that version, which would allow you to accommodate the different
views within a single named instance. This eliminates the
overhead/complexity of running multiple processes, pid-file conflicts,
etc. and is generally a cleaner solution.

Note that regardless of whether you go with BIND 8's multiple-instance
approach, or BIND 9's "view" approach, you can share zone data that is
common between views/instances, by $INCLUDE'ing files that have the
common data within them. You still have to reload/refresh/restart
separately however, whenever that common data changes.

                              - Kevin