Strange: My Bind (8.4.6) freezes randomly : Sysklogd?

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:27:26 UTC 2007

Hi Santiago,

I don't think I can explain things more clearly than Mark did - it's
basically a deadlock between two applications (BIND and sysklogd)
which can be broken in the two ways that Mark detailed. However, his
rant was aimed at OS/sysklogd programmers. You are probably an admin
which can't do much about the sorry state of syslog()/sysklogd.
However, one option you have is to go with syslog-ng, which provides
b) through a configuration file option:

http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/

I haven't used it in production (I'm not an admin), so you might want
to do a bit of research first. I've been told that it's quite good.

Disclaimer: I'm not involved in any way with syslog-ng. Somebody has
recommended it to me, too.

Stefan.