Strange: My Bind (8.4.6) freezes randomly

Santiago Romero sromero at servicom2000.com
Wed Jan 10 17:52:34 UTC 2007

David Nolan wrote:
>>   Suddenly, since 4th January 2007 we have strange problems with the
>> named/bind daemon. It's working perfectly until randomly it freezes.
>> DNS querys continue arriving to the machine but bind doesn't resolve
>> them. I can't even solve queries launched from the own machine:
>
> Were any changes made to the system on or around that date?

  No changes.
  Machine had a 4 month's uptime with no incidences (we monitorize all
in the machine, disk, mem, cpu, ports...).

> - queries to other IP addresses on the same server would work, including
> localhost. What happens if you dig @127.0.0.1?

  No, it doesn't work:

/var/named# dig www.google.com @localhost

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.google.com @localhost
;; global options:  printcmd

  I'm going to send a new message including some tcpdump
data in a minute.

  Thanks for your answer, anyway :)

--
Santiago Romero