IN-ADDR.ARPA Zone Delegations

m.c.crockett at adelphia.net m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 10 17:07:57 UTC 2007

---- Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 07:01:40AM -0800,
>  Merton Campbell Crockett <m.c.crockett at adelphia.net> wrote
>  a message of 24 lines which said:
>
> > 	$ORIGIN 160.10.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
> > 				IN	NS	NS.SUB.DOMAIN.COM.
>
> No name on the left side means using the last name, not using the
> current origin, I believe (dig AXFR will show you what the name server
> actually understood). Try:
>
> $ORIGIN 160.10.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
> @ 				IN	NS	NS.SUB.DOMAIN.COM.

Thanks for your response.  I had presumed that $ORIGIN would reset the current origin to the new value.  I did manage to resolve my problem by eliminating the $ORIGIN directive and using the following.

        160                  IN      NS      NS.SUB.DOMAIN.COM.

This produced the behaviour that I had expected:  the DNS queries being forwarded to NS.SUB.DOMAIN.COM.

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at adelphia.net