query vs. recursion?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Jan 9 21:11:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Mark Andrews wrote:
The basic premise, I'd say, is that "allow query" is best thought of for
use on zones you host locally (in your named.conf), but that "allow
recursion" is for things that are not.

Of course, Mark brings up the excellent point I hadn't realized, that
allow-query would allow people to see data (in cache) that is NOT hosted
locally, but was put there by someone else who WAS within allow-recursion.

Is there a setting for allow-query on cache data versus authoritative
data, Mark?

-Dan

--

"Of course she's gonna be upset!  You're dealing with a woman here Dan,
what the hell's wrong with you?"

-S. Kennedy, 11/11/01