Override transferred zone information?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jan 8 22:10:11 UTC 2007

Eric Jain wrote:
> Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, iterative resolvers will typically prefer
>> *faster* nameservers over slower ones, so presumably the easyDNS servers
>> are getting a lot more queries for your zones than your own nameservers
>> are (if not, perhaps you aren't getting your money's worth). Which
>> means, all other things being equal, even if you implement GeoDNS on
>> your servers, Internet clients will get the non-"geo"'ed answers more
>> often than not.
>>

> This gets me to another idea: If there was a nameserver at each geographic
> site (there are only three sites), couldn't we just list two of the
> nameservers as secondary nameservers? Each nameserver would still return
> multiple records, but list the local site first. Does this make any sense?

No, all of the nameservers published in the NS records are considered
equally authoritative -- to an iterative resolver, there is no such
thing as a "secondary" nameserver for a zone. The only preference that
is given is to *faster* servers. So, assuming the easyDNS servers answer
faster to most if not all resolvers on the Internet, they'll always get
preference.

The bottom line, really, is that if you want "geo" to work consistently,
*all* of the nameservers for the zone need to have that functionality.

                                 - Kevin