Wildcards in reverse DNS

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Sat Jan 6 21:27:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:55:25PM +0100, Sten Carlsen wrote:
> As for 128bit adressing; as far as I can see (which may not be far
> enough) the lower 64bits are meant for the MAC-address, the rest is
> useful as addresses.

It is common to use the MAC address, but one can use arbitrary numbers
as well. Which comes in handy for an actual service which should not
have its IP change when it moves to different hardware.

> What is the reason for this use of the lower 64 bits? Can you get rid of
> ARP? Is this so much better than the self-assigned IPv4 addresses in use
> today? On top of this, there are now attempts of hiding the MAC-address
> to help privacy, which would otherwise be gone.

It allows autoconfiguration. And why does one want to hide the MAC
address? Knowing it does only help an attacker on the local network,
and who is on the local network knows it anyway.

Greetings
Marc