Wildcards in reverse DNS

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Sat Jan 6 09:25:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:26:24PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> 	I really don't see why people insist that they need port /
> 	address translation.  A statefull firewall is just as good
> 	at providing protection and doesn't have the down sides
> 	introduced as a side effect of the port / address translation.

I have to agree with the conservative people here that NAT is an added
layer of protection against configuration errors. I have once seen a
case where an accidental "allow all" was inserted into a stateful
packet filter, which caused a server with an official IP address that
was supposed to be "protected" by that packet filter to be r00ted in
no time. Had this server behind a NAT gateway with only tcp/80 DNATted
to the site local IP address of the server, this configuration error
wouldn't have been remotely as bad.

Greetings
Marc