rndc: create task manager. no available threads

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Wed Jan 3 18:39:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 09:37:40PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:07:14PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > > 	It means that rndc was unable to create a thread. rndc only
> > > 	attempts to create one worker thread. isc_thread_create() is
> > > 	just a wrapper around pthread_create() which has these two
> > > 	failure modes.
> >
> > And why is this only happening when invoking rndc over a
> > non-interactive ssh session?
>
> 	I have no idea and I can't reproduce it on our linux boxes
> 	here.

The "unable to create thread" message is rndc's way to complain about
"out of memory". This was verified with the user_beancounter
information available on the vServer platform my bind runs on.

The out of memory condition is caused by two sshd processes that are
started during the remote invocation of rndc and that do not properly
terminate after rndc terminates. I have elaborated a little more in
another message written five minutes ago. One probably needs to use
ProxyCommand and socket for this issue to appear. The other message
contains more information that might help in reproducing the issue.

Greetings
Marc