Force reload when include changes

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 28 22:30:56 UTC 2007

Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a small 2-server Bind 9.3.4 (soon to move to 9.4.0) installation
> of 15 domains, which are all serviced by the same mail servers.
> The Bind servers are set up in a typical primary->secondary setup.
>
> Therefore I have an included file, common to all 15 zone files, which
> contains the MX records.
>
> If I make a change to the included file only, and reload the master, the
> master applies the changes successfully.  However the slaves aren't
> notified of the change (presumably because the serial numbers haven't
> changed.)
>
> So, what I have to do, is either change the serial number in every zone
> file and then reload the master, or I have to remove the transferred
> zone files off the slave and reload it so it forces a zone transfer off
> the master.
>
> I would imagine there's someone out there who's come across this on a
> larger scale than myself, I'm just wondering how other people have
> handled it?

Is it an option to $INCLUDE the SOA record as well as the MX records?
Then you'd only have to update a single SOA.

If you want do this on a larger scale, you should probably do away with
the $INCLUDE-file hack altogether, and script things in such a way that
the MX records are changed via Dynamic Update in all relevant zones.
Then there are no serial-number issues since Dynamic Update does the
serial-number increment automatically.

- Kevin