Virtual Hosts don't work with "www"

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 18:37:02 UTC 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 06:32:02PM -0500,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote
> a message of 24 lines which said:
>
> > I don't understand the relevance of that link: *registry* systems
> > require a whole different kind of software from regular
> > DNS-management/IPAM software.
>
> I do not think so. A domain is a domain, wether a TLD like ".com" or
> ".fr" or the root or "yourtinydomain.org". Of course, there are
> differences in size, expectation of reliability, etc, but they still
> have similar issues.

Well, not really. He said "*registry* systems" which are almost be
definition more complex then a relatively small domain. The root servers
have to manage thosands of deligations and what not, not just a handful
of zones. It might not be apaprent but there is a *LOT* more to it for
something with the scope the the root servers have. You cannot hope to
equate that to run of the mill DNS management some company might need.