Weird problem.

David Miller millerdc at fusion.gat.com
Mon Feb 12 21:25:48 UTC 2007

For some reason our servers(BIND 9.3.2) will not resolve one domain.
Well, it is the only one that has not worked. My users tell me it was
working last week. The domain is mcmaster.com. This is what I get
when I lookup the domain using my master name server within my network
( recursion is turned off).

nslookup mcmaster.com 192.5.166.12

It takes a few seconds for it to give that response. Like it can't
even query the server with that string. However I have not had any
problems resolving any other domains. It doesn't even act like it
would with a domain that doesn't exist at all. It immediately
responds back with a "not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)"

The only changes I have made since last week are to my zone files for
my local domain hostnames. I double check all entries I make using
forward and reverse lookups. BIND is not complaining about anything.
Anyone see this before?

David.