Can BIND on vpn use name servers assigned via DHCP by ISP?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Feb 8 01:33:09 UTC 2007

> In article <eqcvf4$283h$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  "Jorge Canas" <jcanas2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have setup a home gateway (2 ethernet cards, one on the WAN and the other
>
> > on my private network (vpn)).
> >
> > The WAN interface gets configured via DHCP from my ISP.  The ISP also
> > provides the addresses of its primary and backup nameservers. I believe
> > these get written into /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > The VPN interface has a private static IP address, and a local DNS server
> > runs off this interface for the rest of the clients on the vpn.
> >
> > Anyway, so far, this a very vanilla setup.  But I am not sure how to make
> > the local DNS forward every query it receives to the nameservers that appea
> > in /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > Anyone know how to configure the local DNS to do that?  Caching on the loca
> > DNS would also be nice, but the forwarding bit is more important to me righ
> > now.

	named always caches.  Why do you need to forward?  Nameservers
	work better if that don't use forwarders.  People tend to
	over use forwarders.  Unless there is a reachability problem
	which is addressed by using a forwarder I would recommend against
	it.

> named doesn't make use of resolv.conf, it uses the "forwarders" option
> in named.conf.
>
> You could run a cron job every minute that checks whether resolv.conf
> has changed, and if so it copies the servers into the forwarders option
> of named.conf and runs "rndc reconfig".

	Or hook it into something into your dhcp client.
	e.g. dhclient-exit-hooks if you are running dhclient.

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

Mark Andrews, ISC