using cname for redirection?

aklist_bind at enigmedia.com aklist_bind at enigmedia.com
Sat Dec 29 20:11:16 UTC 2007

Hi All: Is there any valid way in DNS to point requests for
"something.domain1.com" to "somethingelse.domain2.com"?

Can a CNAME be used for that?

In this particular instance, I have a domain where the mail is being hosted
at godaddy.com (email.secureserver.net), and when godaddy maintained the NS,
they were aliasing "webmail.yourdomain.com" to "email.secureserver.net".

If I take over the DNS, normally I'd need to create an A record for
"webmail" and point it at the IP for "email.secureserver.net"...but what if
there is more than one IP for that address?

TIA