reg named.conf configuration file in bind 9.3.4

B Zaman Laskar m2bzamanl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 11:10:47 UTC 2007

Greetings Chris ,
   Thanks for the clarification.

   > The behavior you describe has nothing whatsoever to do with the local,

> > unregistered zone. Instead, it has to do with recursion. Because the
> > other hosts are able to resolve names in the unregistered zone, I
> > suspect that the problem is not a view configuration. Therefore, if
> > you are using BIND 9.3.x, the problem is likely to do with this value:
> >
> > options {
> >   allow-recursion { some-acl; };
> > };
>

>    I tried by putting the allow-recursion statement as follows.

              allow-recursion { localnets; } ;

       and it worked fine . I was able to  resolve registered domain names
       from the other machine.

      Initially allow-recursion was not set to localhost ; There was no
statement with
      allow-recursion in named.conf file .  So , probably the default
behaviour of  BInd 9.3.x
      is to allow recursion for only localhost  for name resolution of
domains other than the
      configured  domain name name.
      Please correct me if I am wrong.

     Now I am extending the scenario a little bit further .

     I want to do name resolution from another machine on another network by
pointing the
     resolver to that name server (which I have configured)
.
     For this I put the following statement in /etc/named.conf
               allow-recursion { any; } ;
    under the options directive. But name resolution is not occuring from
the other machine.
    for any domain including the configured domain name.

     is the configuraton is correct for the scenario I am tring to achieve.
.
    The name server is reachable from the other machine.

     The following are the contents of named.conf

          **********

 options {
    directory "/var/named";
    dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
    /*
     * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
     * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
     * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
     * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
     * port by default.
     */
     // query-source address * port 53;
        allow-recursion { any; } ;
};

zone "." IN {
    type hint;
    file "named.root";
};

zone "localdomain." IN {
    type master;
    file "localdomain.zone";
    allow-update { none; };
};

zone "somedomain.in." IN {
        type master;
        file "somedomain.in.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "localhost." IN {
    type master;
    file "localhost.zone";
    allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa." IN {
    type master;
    file "named.local";
    allow-update { none; };
};

zone "X.Y.202.in-addr.arpa." IN {
        type master;
        file "somedomain.in.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa."
IN {
        type master;
    file "named.ip6.local";
    allow-update { none; };