reg named.conf configuration file in bind 9.3.4

B Zaman Laskar m2bzamanl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 04:47:06 UTC 2007

Greetings All and Happy New Year wishes to all the Members.

On Dec 27, 2007 10:44 PM, Steven Stromer <filter at stevenstromer.com> wrote:

> In FC6 the named.conf file is not created at install. I've found that
> the following workaround creates all of the needed files correctly.
> If you haven't configured anything yet, you might just uninstall bind-
> chroot to follow the steps exactly, or you can try running system-
> config-bind (locally), and see if that alone is enough to generate
> the file.
>
> 1. yum install bind bind-libs bind-utils system-config-bind (not bind-
> chroot, yet)
>
> 2. Run system-config-bind (locally), and exit without creating any
> settings,
>    which successfully creates the standard conf and zone files.
>
> 3. Install bind-chroot, which successfully creates the chroot
> directories,
>    and all of the proper links.
>
>           I tried the steps as mentioned by Steven and it worked fine . I
was able to
          configure bind for a particular domain  and name resolution is
taking place.

     But I had another confusion for which I need clarification. It is
nothing on BIND
     but it is on how DNS works....
     The scenario is like this......

     I have configured bind on a machine which is having a public IP but for
a unregistered
     domain "somedomain.com" . The domain name is unregistered because it is
for experimental
     purpose only. In /etc/resolv.conf , I have put the entry as
127.0.0.1because named is running
     on that machine only.

    Now when  I try  to do name resolution for google.com  or any registered
domain name
                          host www.google.com
    on that host , the name resolution occurs fine .

   But if I try to do the same name resolution for any registered domain
name on another machine
   on the  same network , name resolution is not happening for any
registered domains. But name
   resolution is occuring for "somedomain.com" . I have that machine 's
resolver to point to
   the host running name server.

   Please clarfiy whether that behavior is normal. Is name resolution for
registered domain
   name is not occuring because the name server is configured with a
unregistered domain
   name. But then the question comes , why name resolution is happening on
the host running
   the name server even though it is configured for unregistered domain
name.

   Please  clarify my confusion .

   Once again Thanks in Advance

   regards