DNS Server Host's Network DNS Settings

Steven Stromer filter at stevenstromer.com
Mon Dec 24 03:24:50 UTC 2007

Niall and Kevin,

Thank you both for your exceptionally well-crafted and informative
configure our two BIND servers to provide both full recursion for LAN
(inside view) queries, and authoritative services for queries
originating from the internet (outside view), porting those queries
through our firewall and using the option 'query-source address
[internal_ip] port 53'. I am sure that this would make the hair on
the necks of some BIND administrators stand on end, but, each view
has been carefully configured according to the same rules as would be
applied to separated services:

view "inside" {

	# Limit access to internal IP addresses
	match-clients { localnets; localhost; "admirallan"; };

	# Redundant to above, but added comfort
	allow-query { "admirallan"; };

	# Allow internal clients to request DNS for domains not managed by
this server
	recursion yes;

	# Redundant to above, but added comfort
	allow-recursion { "admirallan"; };

};

view "outside" {

	# Accept requests from all external IP addresses
	match-clients { any; };

	# Do not provide general DNS services for outside parties
	recursion no;

};

This arrangement has worked alright for us for years, now. I describe
all of this because Niall wisely recommends using different
approaches to each type of configuration. Due to the fact that the
BIND hosts in question are members of the 'inside' view (as per the
acl), their queries are answered when using 127.0.0.1. Please let me
know if you see anything outlandish in my approach!

Thanks again,
Steven Stromer