{Disarmed} Re: Unable to get Zone transfer to work

Jeff Reasoner jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org
Thu Dec 20 19:32:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 14:09 -0500, Vincent Yonemitsu wrote:
> HOLY COW I figured it out, apparently you have to specify the slave
> directory as /var/named/slaves

There is no requirement regarding the name or location of the
transferred zonefiles - That depends strictly in what you put in the
config files.

> you can just bump it into a location of your choice. not only that you
> can't have a blank zone file in there it needs to be created from scratch.

You also don't need to create a file at all on the slave. Named on the
slave will create it (again based on the filename in named.conf) when
transferring the zone. Could this have been a problem with permissions?
The account that named runs under would need rw access
in /var/named/slaves in this case.

> This seems very undocumented. Is this an issue with 9.x? or just with fedora?

Probably more to do with some aspect of your server setup. I don't think
that what you have described is a known issue - certainly not an issue
I've come across in any version of bind 9 I have ever run. There have
been many issues with bind vis-a-vis SELinux on RedHat. Searching this
newslist archive should yield plenty of information on that topic.

--
Jeff Reasoner
HCCA