notify - ixfr to interface alias problem

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Thu Dec 6 10:59:17 UTC 2007

On 6 Dec 2007, at 10:14, Rogan, Julian wrote:

> However when a change is made to the master zone. I can see a notify
> request received in the log file but update of the slave does not
> occur.

	You need to look for the crack into which something is falling ...
	Here are my suggestions.

	Look to your named.conf files, on master and new (new because of
	changed address) slave(s), and track down the answers to the
	following questions.

	To which addresses is the master sending NOTIFY?
	From which addresses is each slave prepared to accept NOTIFY?
	From which addresses is the master prepared to accept a transfer
	(AXFR or IXFR shouldn't be an issue)?

	Next, try matching log files between master and slave(s).

	When you see a NOTIFY "received in the log file" (on the virtual
	slave, I understand), does the slave send a transfer request?
	Does the master log show the corresponding entries?

	If it's still not clear, you'll likely need to see
	what's happening on the wire (as opposed to in the logs).
	Your friend is tcpdump.

	Almost forgot ...

	Are you using TSIG?  If so, are there clock skew issues in your
	virtual servers which don't arise on "bare metal"?

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9