From RHEL to CentOS BIND 9

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 14:57:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 08:41:19AM -0600, isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> > FAQ. http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/FAQ.php
>
> Thanks but I didn't find my solution there which is why I asked here.
>
> Anyhow, I do see yet another off behavior. My named.pid file is running as a
> linked file under /var/run/named.pid linked to
> /var/named/chroot/var/run/named/named.pid.
>
> However, in /var/run, named will not even start unless I have a directory
> called named. Without the directory, named doesn't start. With it, it starts
> and it automatically sets up the link.
>
> Stranger still, I can't set the path. In my named.conf, I actually have it set
> to /var/run/named/named.pid and it seems to be ignored.
>
> What's going on?

I'm not sure why you don't use standard distribution scripts and
setup. If you really need this uncommon setup then compile BIND
yourself from source. In other case try:

- $yum install bind
- configure /etc/named.conf
- add zones to /var/named{,slaves}
- run restorecon on all modified files if you're using SELinux
- if you want chroot install bind-chroot package
- run $service named start

This works as expected.

Adam

--